Saturday, April 11, 2015

What is an artist trading card (ATC) ?

Think small, like a baseball card or a playing card. The rule is 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches. The base is usually stiff paper, an index card works well after it's trimmed. The small size makes it fun to try out an idea or a technique without a big time commitment. The small size also makes them easy to trade and mail. My kids inclue atc's in their letters to their penpals in Russia, and they recieve them in return. They also frequently trade them with their cousins as well. They either keep them in a binder, or pin them to a corkboard in their rooms. My son made this one for the ATC's 4 ACC project. His name and the date are on the back of the card.

I participate in online groups where we trade cards. I came up with a list of themes that I like and my partner chooses one to inspire a card. I do the same from her list, and we mail in 2 weeks. I just recieved a card for my angel theme. It's really cool, and it's not something I would have thought of myself.

Both of these cards will go into the framed collage. It's the variety that makes it interesting. One is done by a child, and one by and adult. One is completely hand drawn, and Once includes a preprinted image. I love them both, and I can't wait to see what card arrives in the mail next!

No comments:

Post a Comment